Scale your engineering team and become a great engineering leader!
Research shows that great managers significantly impact team performance and employee engagement. This is especially true at technology organisations where its high-paced, high-complexity nature, combined with the specific culture of software engineers, has created the need for software-specific management frameworks, tools, and methodologies.
Hi 👋 I’m Daniel, a software engineer turned Operating Partner and Advisor. Over the past eighteen years, I managed developers, educated developers, and helped developers start companies 🚀 Today, I advise founders, CTOs and technology leaders on how to hire, manage and engage with developers 🧑💻
Management for Software Engineers is the program I wished I followed when I moved from engineer to manager. I’ve condensed into this program decades of research and best practices on what makes a great software engineering manager and made it practical, actionable, and adapted to your needs.
🗂️ Course Features
This course contains:
- Over 50 hours of original videos and workshop replays;
- A curated library of 100+ books, articles and videos to dig deeper into each topic;
- Actionable challenges to immediately apply newly learned concepts with your team.
👨👩 Who is this course for?
This course is for:
- New Engineering Managers looking to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to do their job well;
- Existing Engineering Managers looking to strengthen their existing knowledge and skills and make sure they don’t have unknown unknowns;
- Startup CTOs who are acting as Engineering Managers.
🗣️ What others are saying
"The program equips us with methodologies and tools to manage all the actions of a CTO. There is really an effort to rationalise the issues." Sara El Afia - CTO at Groover 🇫🇷
"All the important topics you need to be aware of are explained and discussed. You will not only benefit from the content but also from the other leaders." Hamzeh Sharawi - Head of Engineering at Jawaker 🇯🇴
"The program helped me re-prioritise my day-to-day work in order to make long-term technological plans. A wonderful opportunity to communicate with peers and look for solutions together." Alexey Bogatyryov - CTO at eFarmer 🇺🇦
🏢 Participants come from these companies (and more)
💡 What you'll learn
What Makes a Great Engineering Manager
- Understand the essential qualities and skills that define a successful engineering manager.
- Learn how to balance technical expertise with effective leadership and team management.
- Master techniques to manage your time effectively, prioritising tasks and managing workload.
- Explore tools and strategies to help you stay organised and productive.
- Discover the science behind managing people, including communication, motivation, and team dynamics.
- Learn how to create a positive work environment and resolve conflicts.
- Understand the importance of setting clear, measurable objectives.
- Learn how to align team goals with company objectives and track progress.
- Gain insights into conducting effective one-on-one meetings with developers.
- Learn how to provide constructive feedback and support individual growth.
- Learn strategies for assessing and improving team and engineering performance.
- Understand how to set high-performance standards and conduct evaluations.
- Develop skills to make informed, effective decisions in complex situations.
- Understand different decision-making models and when to apply them.
- Master the process of hiring the right talent for your team.
- Learn techniques for interviewing, evaluating, and selecting candidates.
- Explore strategies for managing and advancing your career in engineering management.
- Learn how to set career goals, seek opportunities, and navigate career transitions.
🗣️ Join over 100 CTOs and engineering leaders
"Daniel has no answer for your individual challenge, but he'll push you to ask yourself the true questions or change your point of view on a situation." Pierre-Charles Bertineau - CTO at Kiplin 🇫🇷
"I recommend it to anyone who wants to broaden their vision and perspective. You meet inspiring leaders, share interesting challenges and grow. Very impressed." Cyril Pluche - CTO at Vauban 🇬🇧
"I really liked the program as it gives you a very good overview of the areas that you need to cover as a CTO and allows you to deep dive on key topics." Raphaël Antonmattei - CTO at Combo 🇫🇷
👋 About the instructor
My name is Daniel Jarjoura, a software engineer turned Operating Partner and Advisor.
Engaging with developers has been the common thread in my career. I was trained as a developer, managed developers, educated developers, and helped developers start companies 🚀 Today, I advise founders and technology leaders on how to hire, manage and engage with developers 🧑💻
Management for Software Engineers is the program I wished I followed when I moved from engineer to manager.
🕹 How to use this Course
This course contains nine lessons, divided into required readings (or videos), a challenge to complete and further readings. The reading material is for you to acquire knowledge to challenge how you think about management and your actions. The challenge to complete is an opportunity to put the knowledge into practice and allow you to learn empirically.
The Learning Path is self-paced and designed to fit your busy schedule. To benefit from it, I recommend to:
- Do 1 lesson per week (so nine weeks in total);
- Book 2,5 hours in your calendar to go through the content and complete the weekly assignment;
- Try to complete the assignment before moving to the next lesson.
🗣️ Even more feedback from participants
"Thanks to the Unicorn CTO program, I was able to meet peers that were facing the same issues as I did, and I had the chance of meeting Daniel who really taught me a lot." Tony Malghem - CTO at Tokeny 🇱🇺
"The Unicorn CTO helped me organise my knowledge and develop as a leader. I was able to challenge some assumptions and expand my professional network." Tomasz Marcińczyk - CEO at Restimo 🇵🇱
"The Unicorn CTO helped me reposition myself correctly and have an excellent vision of what I still have to put in place to be as efficient as possible and for each person in the team to be as efficient as possible." Alexis Delaporte - CTO at Wegrow 🇫🇷
🎬 Need more convincing?
Here is what you can expect in terms of content
🗣️ Still more feedback from participants
"The program is more than leadership training, this is a journey with great content, structured sessions with practical weekly assignments with a lot of sharing of knowledge and perspectives." Piotr Nazarewicz - CTO at Symmetrical.ai 🇵🇱
"The Unicorn CTO covers all the hot topics for startups that are in the growth phase. Daniel is a good teacher, clear in his explanations and precise in the delivery of the study material, as well as prepared on all topics covered." Mattia Tabaglio - CTO at Agade 🇮🇹
"Daniel manages to cover all the issues a technical leader faces in quite a small amount of time while giving tips and actionable next steps." Sammy Teillet - Head of Tech at Libeo 🇫🇷